Does security window film sound like an oxymoron to you? It isn’t. Safety and security window film has progressed by leaps and bounds in the 21st century. Now, we have retrofit security systems that provide exponential fortification for your glass windows or doors. There’s more to security window film than the name conveys.
At NGS, we have a tier system that breaks down the different types of security film for glass and how effective they are at preventing entry and injury. Safety and security glass window film is effective for both of these challenges. The 3 levels of security film for glass are detailed below:
Tier one: Entry Level Security Film
- 3M Ultra 800 and 3M impact protection adhesive (IPA) on the interior of the glass
- Up to 2-minute delay in breach
- The system attaches the filmed window to the window frame, creating a shield of fortification that significantly outperforms window film-only systems.
- Provides protection against impact or forces from earthquakes, forced entry, or bomb blasts.
The Impact Protection Adhesive mentioned above is a high-strength structural silicone adhesive to anchor the security film, glass, and window frame to each other. The anti-shatter film is applied to the glass along with the 3M Ultra 800 security film. This combination provides a powerful fortification for those seeking security for their building(s).
3M™ Ultra Series films, including the Ultra 800 referenced above, are made from a micro-layered clear, tear-resistant film. These films deliver superior endurance over standard polyester films in blast and impact tests. Moreover, they maintain a high level of optical clarity. You won’t even know that they are there. However, a criminal will realize it within seconds of a break-in attempt.
Tier two: TRI-SHIELD® security system
- 3M Ultra 800 and 3M impact protection adhesive on the interior of all glass and exterior weatherable film
- Retrofit system
- Up to 6-minute delay in breach
The TRI-SHIELD security system was introduced to the market in 2009 by NGS. It meets stringent requirements for ASTM F1233 level 1.0 protection against attacks using blunt objects, like a 12-pound ball-peen hammer.
Lab results verify the following specs for Tri-Shield:
- Anti- intrusion = ASTM F1233 level 1.0
- Human Impact = ANSI Z-97.1 Unlimited
- CPSC 16 CFR part 1201 Category II
- Hurricane = ASTM E-1886/E-1996 Large Missile Impact Category B
- Blast Mitigation = GSA performance condition 3A
TRI-SHIELD is a powerhouse product. The above specs convey this fact. However, if you feel you need more, tier three protection may be right for you.
Tier three: RIOT GLASS® Access Denial
Leading anti-breach protection on the market
- Passed Miami Dade large missile impact testing protocol
- 24/7 graffiti and acid-etching protection
- Scratch-resistant and UV-coated
- Noise dampening
Riot glass also comes with ballistic options. This retrofit security system can have layers of protection added according to the needs of the client. There is no better description of this product than the video below.
Get Started With a Free Building Perimeter Security Assessment
The higher the tier, the more hardened your building security. NGS regularly consults with contractors, architects, and designers for buildings to recommend a tier that provides the best possible performance for each structure. Everyone’s scenario is different and knowing what solution is most beneficial for you can prevent frustration in the long run.
Book your complimentary building assessment with NGS today. We will provide a full assessment of your property and recommend a solution that will help you sleep better at night. Peace of mind is priceless. And so is the right security window film system.
Feature Photo by Luis Villasmil